Summer is approaching, time to get your bikini body ready! Living in an Italian household and keeping a healthy diet is extremely difficult and through the years I have managed to create healthy recipes to get myself in shape for summer. Today I will share how to prepare a delicious Farro & Shrimp salad. This is the perfect meal for the warmer days, it’s very refreshing, and packed with protein.
For those who don’t know what farro is, farro is an ancient grain that was eaten in ancient Egypt and ancient Rome and is considered an “old-world grain”. Farro is an excellent source of fiber, protein, magnesium, and iron. Farro is not gluten- free as it contains gluten like barley and rye. Farro is typically used in salads or soups and is often paired with olive oil, fresh vegetables, and herbs. For my salad I have mixed farro with some vegetables and shrimp to add more protein to the dish.
- 1 cup of farro perlato
- 12 ounces of shrimp
- 6 ounces of string beans
- 2 lemons for lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons of red onion chopped
- 4 ounces of celery
- Red pepper (optional)
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons of coarsely chopped basil
- Black pepper
- Rinse the farro to take away any impurities.
- Cook the farro in water for about 25 minutes or however much time the bag indicates. It will start to foam up up top. Once the farro is cooked drain and let it cool.
3. As the farro is cooking start cutting the ends of your string beans and chop them so that they are about 1 inch long.
4. Boil a large pot of water and add the green beans and cook until tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain well, pat dry and place the beans in a large bowl.
5. In another pot of water, start boiling the shrimp until they turn into a pink/ coral color. This should take about 10 minutes.
6. Once the shrimp are cooked, drain them using a colander. Once the shrimp is drained, start deveining the shrimp by peeling the shell from it. Use a paring knife to make a shallow slit along the back from the head end to the tail end. Look for the black sand vein that runs along the center of the back. If the vein is there, use the tip of the knife to carefully remove it.
7. Place the clean shrimp in a bowl and squeeze the lemon juice from one lemon. Let the shrimp marinate while you prepare the rest of the salad.
8. In a separate bowl start preparing the dressing by mixing the lemon juice from the other lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic, lemon zest, and basil. Whisk together until well blended.
9. In a large bowl combine farro, shrimp, string beans, tomatoes, onion, and celery.
10. Sprinkle the dressing on top, mix well together, and enjoy!
Hope you enjoyed my farro salad recipe. Buon Appetito!
As always feel free to comment any questions below, and don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and follow Simply Signorina on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Check out my Cuisine page for additional Italian recipes.