A citrus Margherita cake is similar to a sponge cake and is one of those classic desserts that are suitable for any season or occasion. This citrus cake recipe contains lemon and orange flavor for a light and refreshing taste. Enjoy a slice to pair with your after-dinner coffee or with your cappuccino as a breakfast. It’s super simple to make and serves as a great project to do with kids if you have little bakers! Learn how to make this citrus cake at home using the recipe below.
1 Cake (6-8 servings)
- 2 1/3 cups of flour (10.5 oz)
- 1 packet of Paneangeli “Lievito Pane degli Angeli” (16 g)
- 14 tablespoons of butter (At room temperature)
- 5 oz of sugar
- 2 lemons for zest and juice
- 1 orange for juice
- 4 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and “Lievito Pane degli Angeli.”
- Grate the skin of the lemon and collect the zest in a separate small bowl.
- Squeeze the lemons and the orange to collect their juices into the same bowl containing lemon zest.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and collect them in separate bowls.
6. Add the salt to the bowl containing the egg whites. Using the electric mixer, start beating the egg whites until it begins to foam looks similar to a mountain of snow.
7. Add the sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and use an electric mixer to mix them until it becomes creamy.
8. If not already at room temperature, cut the butter into small pieces and melt it slightly and let it cool to room temperature. Add it to the bowl with your sugar and egg yolks and mix until even.
9. If not already at room temperature, cut the butter into small pieces and melt it slightly and let it cool to room temperature. Add it to the bowl with your sugar and egg yolks and mix until even.
10. Once all of your ingredients are prepared, combine them in the large mixing bowl containing the flour and Lievito Pane. Mix until even using the electric mixer.
11. Grease a 9-inch pan using cooking spray or butter and slowly pour the mixture into the greased pan.
12. Place the pan in the oven to cook for approximately 35-40 minutes until the cake turns to a golden color. To test if it is fully cooked, insert a toothpick to see if the toothpick comes out clean.
13. Once fully cooked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a rack.
14. Once your citrus cake has cooled to room temperature, sprinkle it with sifted powdered sugar and enjoy!