Cantucci biscotti are the iconic Italian cookies that everyone loves. These cookies are simple and versatile, allowing you to be creative and easily adjust flavoring to your taste preference. In the recipe below, I will be showing you different ways to make biscotti using three common ingredients for added flavor: almond, pistachio, and chocolate chip.
Each batch yields about 30 biscotti
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 cups of flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Additional Ingredients:
This recipe uses approximately a 1/4 cup of a single added flavoring. You can add more, less, or a combination of flavors to your preference.
- 1/4 cup of Almonds
- 1/4 cup of Pistachio
- 1/4 cup of Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat the eggs into the combined ingredients until it is well blended.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the baking powder and salt. Mix the ingredients with a spatula.
- Pour your egg mixture into the large bowl with flour and mix using a spatula until it begins to form into a dough.
5. Add in your chocolate chips, pistachios, or almonds, making sure they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
6. Knead the dough with the added flavoring and form into a ball.
7. Cut the dough ball in half and begin to form each half into a log. *Tip: If the dough is too sticky to form into a log, wet your hands with water.
8. Cover a large cookie tray with parchment paper.
9. Place the logs in the tray. Add pressure to the top of the logs by pressing down so that each log is about 1/2 inch in thickness.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the log turns golden in color.
11. Remove from the tray the oven and let the logs cool down for approximately 10 minutes until the logs are cool enough to handle.
12. Cut strips of biscotti from the log with 1/2 inch thickness.
13. Place the strips of biscotti back in the tray side down, and bake for 6-10 minutes.
14. Remove the tray from the oven and flip the biscotti onto their other side. Bake them in the oven for another 6-10 minutes.
15. Once baked, let them cool on a cooling rack so that they’re ready to be enjoyed!