Easter would not be complete without Pizza Rustica! Pizza Rustica can also be referred as Torta Pasqualina or Pizza Piena.
Italians celebrate the end of lent with this savory quiche filled with different types of cured meats and cheeses. There is not one specific way to make Pizza Rustica as the ingredients in the filling are different in every region. Pizza Rustica can be served either warm or at room temperature and it’s served as an appetizer and not the whole meal. In Italy Easter Monday is called Pasquetta and it’s a holiday where everyone heads to the countryside for a picnic. Many people take their leftover Pizza Rustica to their picnic.
Traditionally Pizza Rustica is made on Good Friday as a way to break lent. Although it’s made on Good Friday, Pizza Rustica is not eaten until Easter Sunday.
Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients for Dough:
- 500 g of “00” flour
- 240 g of butter (keep butter as cold as possible)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 6 g of salt
Procedure for Dough:
- Place flour and butter in food processor (or mixer) and pulse until evenly blended or mixed. Remember that the colder the butter the better.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Blend the ingredients until it is evenly mixed and has a smooth texture. Add cold water as needed in order to make the dough smooth.
- Let the dough rest for 30-45 minutes in the fridge. (Begin preparing the Filling).
4. After filling is prepared, stretch and roll out dough with a wooden roller.
5. Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pie pan and coat edges with butter or Crisco.
6. Place the layer of dough to fit into the pie pan.
Ingredients for Filling
- 600 g of ricotta
- 180 g of soppressata or salame
- 150 g of each: provolone, scamorza, caciocavallo, and mozzarella (600 g total)
- 180 g of mortadella
- 3 eggs
- 40 g each of grated Pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano
- ¼ Teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 20 g of corn starch
- Egg yolk and milk to wash dough
Procedure for Filling:
- Cut soft cheeses and meats into small cubes.
- Blend ingredients to evenly mix .
3. Add the filling into the preformed dough in a pie pan.
4. Cover the pie with a top layer of dough.
5. Egg wash the top and edges of the dough .
6. Bake at 350 °F for 45-50 minutes.
As always post any comment or questions in the comment box below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Simply Signorina and follow me on social media.