Let the holiday craze begin! Christmas is right around the corner and one of my favorite holiday activities is baking – which can easily become very stressful.
One deliciously appealing Italian Christmas cookie for the season is the Anginetti cookie or also known as the lemon drop cookie. As like most lemon-infused Italian desserts, the Anginetti recipe is originally from the Campania region. Anginetti are simple to prepare and are the perfect traditional Italian cookie for the holidays. If you’re like me and like to be prepare cookies in advance (leaving room for gift shopping!), you can freeze the Anginetti without icing them. When it comes time to serve them you may thaw them at room temperature and then ice them. (I like to do this a day or two before serving). Now let’s get cooking!
To make your delicious Anginetti you will need:
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3 leveled teaspoons of baking powder
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and eggs until well blended. In another bowl sift flour and baking powder; once sifted create a well.
- Pour wet ingredients into center of well and stir continuously (use a fork rather than a whisk) until a soft dough is formed.
- With floured hands, roll level teaspoonful of the dough into a ball and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until puffed and the bottoms are a pale golden color, (10 minutes or so, depending on your oven). Remember that the bottoms of the cookies remain soft like light heavenly pillows. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. One at room temperature, you may freeze them in a zip-lock bag for later use.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and the lemon zest until the mixture forms a thick but pour-able glaze (add water if necessary).
- Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and let set, (if you choose to add sprinkles, you must do immediately after you dip the cookies in the glaze). Place each cookie on a rack set over a piece of parchment paper so as to make cleanup easier. Add sprinkles if desired. Allow the glaze to set, about 20 minutes. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.